Sunday, September 06, 2009

RANDOM THOUGHTS (and stuff)

Alright, so for this post I'm completely avoiding the issue of the Health Care Debate and the democratic processes involved (or not)...and I am going to unload a few halfway relevant thoughts I had about what was talked about in class on Thursday.

After thinking about the whole view of Individualism vs. Conformity (and the irony therein), as seen by Toqueville when studying America, I couldn't help but think of BLOGGING. The Blog is a nigh-upon-perfect example of Americans' tendencies to wish to profess individuality and yet conform to a social standard.

After all, look at all of the people who are blogging (and let's include Facebook and Myspace while we're at it)! It's a huge, growing trend followed by more and more people every day. Millions of people are interacting and conforming to this societal activity. One can construct all sorts of interesting formats for a personalized blog, including music, photos, neat backgrounds, etc. In this way, a person can express their individuality while still being a part of the group, conforming to the BLOG culture.

AGAIN, this was totally unrelated to this blog's purpose, but I thought it was an interesting thought. Maybe you will find it less so. Enjoy. I promise I'll post something about HC next time, honest!

----Blind Prophet

2 comments:

Adam said...

Yes, very good observation!

Kaleena said...

I agree! I hadn't thought about it, but it is very much a way to be an individual while still conforming.